Valentine's Day, the Most Romantic Day of the Year!
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! It’s the best time of year to let your significant other know how much they mean to you. This day is known for its ties to chocolates and sweet notes, but did you know there’s a lot more to Valentine’s Day than just candy and cards? Since its conception, Valentine’s Day has grown culturally, especially in Western countries. People are spending more on Valentine’s Day every year! You might be wondering what to get your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day, or are maybe even considering popping the question. Want to know what to treat your Valentine to this year, or want to impress your partner with some V-Day knowledge! If so, take a look at some of the facts below!
- The Feast of Saint Valentine was established in the 5th century, but it wasn’t considered a day of romance until centuries later. It didn't officially become a holiday associated with love until the 1300s by English author Geoffrey Chaucer. Since then, it has been considered the day of love.
- Following the holiday’s emphasis on love, Valentine’s Day is one of the most popular days for proposals. Nearly 6 million couples get engaged on Valentine's Day.
- Even those who don’t pop the question on Valentine's Day agree that the holiday is a great time to propose. It was voted the best day of the year to propose than any other day, and 48% of Americans agree proposing on Valentine's Day is romantic.
- The ladies aren’t the only ones who agree with the previous fact! 40% of those who voted Valentine’s Day as the best day to propose were men.
- Valentine’s Day means more than just a day of love in American culture. It’s also one of the most financially prosperous holidays, as it is a $14.7 billion industry in the U.S.
- So much money is spent on Valentine’s Day, but what are people buying? The gift that people spend the most on is jewelry.
- It’s no surprise that Valentine’s Day is a huge day for the jewelry industry. Overall, people will spend $4.7 billion on jewelry for Valentine’s Day. That’s a lot!
- If you need any more reasoning to give your honey jewelry for V-day, know that almost 20% of all Valentine’s Day purchases are jewelry.
- Not having a valentine isn’t a reason not to love yourself on Valentine’s Day this year! The NRF found in its annual survey that 11% of individuals plan on treating themselves to a gift, including jewelry. Who needs a valentine when diamonds are a girl’s best friend anyway?
Are you surprised by any of these facts? We sure are! We hope this blog has given you some direction for your Valentine’s Day plans. If you still need a little help figuring out what to gift your sweetheart this year, we’ll give you a little hint. You can’t go wrong with jewelry, and we have the facts to prove it! From all of us at W. P. Shelton Jewelers, we wish you a happy Valentine’s Day!
Be sure to view our online Valentine's Day Look Book with the link below!!